Monday, February 2, 2009

Here we go again

I am starting this blog because if I don't do it now, I never will. There won't always be pictures, but I promise to post only interesting things. So when there aren't pictures, you won't piss and moan about reading some boring ass story.


I've been in a lull lately. But I think things are going to pick up.


I have a job now. Well I'll start Wednesday. I'll be working at the Fashion Shack. It's a consignment store in Greenville. I'll be a sales associate and oversee some of the buying. So barring any bad behavior on Wednesday, I'll be gainfully employeed yet again. And perhaps feel like a human being with purpose. Perhaps.


Friday night I went to see Zoso - The Ultimate Led Zeppelin Experience. It was the first time going to The Handlebar - a venue referred to as a "listening room." It's more like a garage with a stage. And it's great. Perfect for watching concerts, especially rock concerts. And so Zoso was a great experience. Tiffany, Brandy, and I got there early to scope out a spot. The band started - three young guys, the guitar players in plaid shirts. Led Zeppelin tribute band!?!


The lead singer sounded great, but I definitely did not recognize the song. And I thought I knew Led Zeppelin really well. But I pretended I knew what was going on and bopped along with the beat. Then they introduced themselves. Not Zoso.


So after the opening band - not Zoso - and an hour wait, Zoso finally came out. And they ROCKED.


I think it was a great time mostly because the crowd was great. I'm a seasoned concert goer (thanks Dad!), and I know how to strategically place myself so that the people around me are to my benefit. You get a few older men who automatically feel protective and will watch out for you, you get a few women who will dance along so that when you dance, you don't bump into them and if they are older your dance moves will automatically look better because your skin is a little tighter and your rhythm a big more accurate. And you get behind people of similar heights to you, but only if you can't get to the edge of the stage. You don't want some tall jerk with big hair ruining your experience.


We chose a spot and I soon befriended a man with fishing lures on his shirt. I knew he was a keeper. He would hold our spot when we went to pee, and might also purchase us a beer or two. Before the night had finished, we managed to meet lots of great people and each receive a free beer. And it was good.

I hadn't been to a concert in a very long time. And I missed it. Zoso was a great reminder of why. I mean where else can you watch a bunch of guys imitate - very well by the way - one of rock's greatest bands, while standing next to a guy with fishing lures on his shirt, and having another delivering you free beers. All the while, being circled by a bunch of rich yuppy kids doing Mick Jagger impressions and hoping that staring at you will cause you to give them your phone numbers. And all the while loving every minute of it because you're surrounded by hundreds of people that you have at least one thing in common with - love of Led Zeppelin. Only music can do that ya know.

4 comments:

  1. So glad to see you blogging again! and so glad you found a job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jena,

    I saw on facebook you are blogging - I spend a lot of my downtime @ work on the internet and also blog, although my blog is sort of silly most of the time....

    Later Gater!
    -F

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jena, so glad you are back to your blogging,you do such a great job. Don't let up and I loved the concert story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! congrats on being gainfully employed. I hope the amount of postcards I receive is directly correlated to your income. the Porpoise card was the best.

    ReplyDelete